Friday, September 25, 2009

Angel On The Field

Our oldest son, Angel, has started playing football now that he's in junior high. First of all, the fact that our son is officially in "junior high" is just darn depressing! It makes me want to do something horribly drastic - like plastic surgery.

I'm not the biggest fan of football, to be honest. It's my least favorite sport for various reasons that stem back to both high school and college. I don't understand the mindset of the players or fans, to be honest. But in fairness, I doubt very many can understand my love for Oscar Night, either (my own personal Superbowl).

So when I saw Angel in his uniform, all those horrible old feelings came bubbling to the surface again. Add to that the fact that one of my biggest fears is seeing any of our children injured in any way, and I honestly thought I was going to throw up.

Silly me. You'd think at my age I would have learned by now. The past is the past, the present is now, and Angel is going to be Angel no matter if he's playing football or performing a part in a play. He's a kind, caring kid who loves competition, as long as your polite about it. Aggression is not one of his strongest points, and that's alright.

He played very well, actually and I was very proud of him. He looked so small in his uniform and it was kind of sad for me to see him in such a grown up situation.

When Angel was about four or five he joined a soccer league. He really did well with the ball. He could travel well and was very good at passing. When it came to stealing the ball, however, he wasn't as enthusiastic. I'd like to think he was raised by his parents to share, something that has stuck with him so far.

He's also dynamic on the sidelines as he dances with his buddies and shakes his padded little booty. Chandler got it on tape and I can't wait to use it at his graduation party some day. :)

In fact, the only time he really seems to be aggressive is when he's fighting with his brother, Spike. I'm hoping he out grows that one!

Angel playing football is another wonderful life lesson for me. I'm not always going to like what he wants to do (Heaven help me if any of my children want to join the military someday), but if it's something they want to do; then I want to be there to support them.

This weekend Spike starts Flag Football. My God, he's only 7! He shouldn't be... okay, okay... take a deep breath Dad, he really wants to do it. Put on the smile, say a silent prayer, and let him jump in feet first!

1 comment:

  1. Plastic surgery won't help.... its the mileage not the years!!! The kids are growing up fast and wonderful. Glad we are going along for the ride!!

    He definitely gets his dance skills from you!! :D

    ReplyDelete