Monday, August 31, 2009

Summer days drifting away...

This has really been one of the more enjoyable summers I've seen in a long time. Rarely real hot and never too cold; although for me cold is never the issue. I've never been a big fan of summer.
As a child, because of my allergies, I spent most of the time in our finished basement, reading Stephen King novels, comic books, or watching our old black and white television. I loved that old television. In fact, even when I was home from college I would watch that old set. Even the Cosby Show and Cheers never lost their charm in black and white.

I digressed. Summer. Ah yes. Terrible season. I hate sweating, and thanks to my maternal grandfather I'm predisposed to sweating in any temperature over seventy degrees, it seems. I'm not really an outside kind of guy, and I dislike most bugs. What I DO like is summer evenings, though. Especially when the sun has just set and the western sky is full of oranges, reds, and that beautiful twilight blue. It's my favorite time of day, when it's not happening at 4:30 in the afternoon, that is. There's one mark against winter.

Now I'll tell you a secret. I like fall and winter because it puts our kids back in school. Swim-meets, band and choir concerts, family holidays together, parent/teacher conferences, class trips, class events - I love it all! But I feel guilty about it, too. You see, the kids moms? You know, Laverne and Shirley? They're school teachers so to them the coming fall is not as exciting. They like their summers off and their camping trips with the kids. I can't blame them, I would too.

But for me, I'll take the sweatshirt weather, college football, and all that wonderful school stuff, any day. It really has been one terrific summer this year, but I'm smiling a little more each night as the temperature dips down into blanket weather again. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment